How long will my wine last?
Wine tasting has to be one of the absolute favorite past times of anyone living in Cape Town, as well as an amazing experience for anyone visiting Cape Town. They are just absolutely blown away by the amount of drop dead gorgeous wine farms and cellars (similar to our own amazing Rockwell Cellars) that we have on offer. When faced with this kind of beautiful setting, and superb tasting wine, we can forgive people for going on a bit of a buying binge when busy with tastings.
But have you ever wondered just how long your wine will last? If you’re not drinking it all on day one, of course!
We’ve put together a handy little guide to keep the guessing at bay. From unopened wines of all types to opened wine stored in the refrigerator, we’ve got the scoop below:
- Opened light wine & rose: 3-7 days in the refrigerator with a wine stopper
- Opened full-bodied white wine: 3-5 days in the refrigerator with a wine stopper
- Opened red wine: 3-5 days in a cool dark place with a cork or wine stopper
- Opened cooking wine: 1-2 months in the refrigerator
- Opened boxed wine: 1 month in the refrigerator
- Opened sparkling wine: 1-3 days in the refrigerator with a wine stopper
- Unopened Chardonnay: 2-3 years
- Unopened Riesling: 3-5 years
- Unopened Sauvignon Blanc: 18 months to 2 years
- Unopened Pinot Gris: 1-2 years
- Unopened Zinfandel: 2-5 years
- Unopened Merlot: 3-5 years
- Unopened Pinot Noir: 5 years
- Unopened Cabernet Sauvignon: 7-10 years
Now that you know how long you can keep your wine, drink those bottles you have had in the cupboard just a little too long and head down to the Rockwell Cellars to stock up with some more delicious wine at discounted prices.